Responsible Ownership By-Law
Chatham-Kent has a comprehensive by-law aimed at protecting the well being of all animals living in Chatham-Kent while ensuring the safety of the public.
Here are a few by-laws pet owners should keep in mind: (For a copy of the entire by-law please click here)
- 3 dog limit per household
- 5 cat limit per household in urban areas
- Dogs are not to be tethered for longer than nine hours in a 24 hour period
- Animals are not to remain outdoors during extreme weather
- All dogs residing in Chatham-Kent must wear a dog license tag
- Potbelly pigs, chickens, ducks, geese are just a few of the animals who cannot reside in Chatham-Kent unless in an agricultural zone.
If you want to report a violation of the Responsible Ownership By-Law please call us at 226-996-9969 or if you suspect neglect or abuse contact 310-SPCA right away.