Skip to main content

Encounters with wildlife here in Chatham-Kent is often a delight, but sometimes it is also a tragedy. If you find a litter of raccoons at the side of a deceased mother or a duck flopping around with an injured wing, it can be quite upsetting.

When volunteers are available, we will try to assist injured and/or orphaned wildlife by assessing the situation and contacting a rehabilitation centre in the area.

Please note that our help with wildlife is in no way contracted by the municipality of Chatham-Kent and all services provided are funded by our fundraisers and by our volunteers.

If no one is available to assist you at the time, we recommend contacting one the centres listed.

Wildlife Centres

Remember that unless you are a licensed wildlife custodian, you are not allowed to keep wildlife for more than 24hrs.

Where an animal is in need of help, it requires specialized care to recover and return to the wild. You cannot keep wildlife in captivity without approval from the Ministry of Natural Resources in the Southern Region. However, a person may possess a wild animal for up to 24 hours to transport it to a wildlife rehabilitator or veterinarian.

If you are unsure on what to do you can call the Ministry of Natural Resources for advice.

Ministry of Natural Resources

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.