- Look for any identification tags on the animal. If no owner information is found, contact us at 226-996-9969 to report the animal.
- If the animal found is a cat, please bring him/her to our Chatham location at 405 Park Ave. East.
- If the animal found is a dog, you have the option to bring him/her to either of our locations or call us for pick up.
- All strays who are brought to our shelters are held for three days before being assessed for our adoption program.
What to do if you lost a pet?
- Call us at 226-996-9969 to report your animal missing. We will let you know if a pet who matches your pet’s description was brought it, and if not, we will have your contact information if someone was to bring him/her in.
- Ask your neighbours if they have seen your pet, and let them know to contact you if they do. Posting flyers is still an effective way to get the word out in your area.
- The power of social media should be taken advantage of as well. Chatham-Kent has a very active lost/found Facebook page.
- All strays who are brought to our shelters are held for three days before being assessed for our adoption program. You must come in during this period to reclaim your pet or you will lose all legal rights to claim him/her.
To reclaim your pet you must bring identification with your address on it as well as proof of ownership. This can include a recent municipal tag, vet records, photos etc.
Please note that all dogs residing in Chatham-Kent must wear a current municipal tag. If the dog being reclaimed does not have such tag, a tag must be purchased before the animal can be released.
- Stray reclaim fee for cats: $20 ($10 if the animal is spayed/neutered)
- Stray reclaim fee for dogs: $50 ($40 if the animal is spayed/neutered)
- Overnight charge for cats and dogs: $20/night
- Dog tag fee: $38 ($28 if spayed/neutered)
- Replacement dog tag: $5
- Dog tag late fee if payment made after March 31st: $10